7.26.2009

finding a church

Six months ago, we started looking online for a San Angelo church. Pastor Casey suggested trying Mesquite Ridge Community Church. It is somewhat difficult to find a church online, but Casey indicated that he hadn't noticed any red flags based on Mesquite's website. We went there today. The church meets in a suite. We showed up on time but thought we were way early or way late or maybe just missed church altogether because there were only about 10 cars in the parking lot. Mesquite is a small church--probably similar in size to Ayore. This made us somewhat nervous, because we couldn't just hide in the back row. The church service was good. Songs and message. No fluff. Just meat-and-guts gospel. Isaac stayed 15 minutes in the nursery and then tried his I-need-to-go-pee trick to get out. The lady took him potty, and that's when he started wailing for Mommy and Daddy. But 15 minutes is good, especially in a new church in a new place. I remember hiding behind my mom's skirt in Illinois churches where relatives lived, dreading the moment where they'd make us go to Sunday School with kids we'd never seen before. It was grueling to have to even tell the teachers our names. Jared argues that it's good for our kids, and it was probably good for me too. He asked yesterday if I thought I benefitted from it. I told him that it took me 20 years to not mind stuff like that. Anyway, the Mesquite church was a blessing. We'll probably go there next Sunday and maybe even try Sunday School...the kids, too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment