10.27.2009

tis (almost) the season...

...for gingersnaps.

3/4 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1 egg
1/4 c. molasses
3 (+ 1/2) c. flour*
3 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. cloves
1 t. ginger
1/2 t. nutmeg
additional sugar

Cream butter, sugar, egg, and molasses. Sift together dry ingredients and gradually add to the creamed mixture. Mix well. Chill at least 1 hour. Roll into 1-inch balls and dip into sugar. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes or until set.

*These cookies turn out different every time I make them. This time, they were flatter than my half-inch-thick standard, so I added another 1/2 cup. The last time, I added too much flour and the dough was crumbly. I fixed this problem by adding 2 T. heavy cream. That seemed to do the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment