2.17.2010

bedtime for daddy

Since the kids were born, we've always had bedtime routines. Carly and Isaac go to sleep after stories, prayers, rubs, and songs. Carly developed the notion that she needs one rub for every year she's lived. She's five now, so she gets five rubs with five songs. She's told us she even wants 13 when she turns 13. We thought it would get less complicated as the kids get older.

The other night, Jared and I started teasing the kids that they ought to put us to bed this time. They agreed to putting Daddy to bed. He got under his covers, and Isaac came in to lay beside him just like we do with them. He said prayers and then started giving rubs.

Describing the sweetness of this moment is impossible to do on a blog. Isaac started singing softly, "I love you forever, I like you for always, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be..." while he rubbed Daddy's arm back and forth quickly and not so gently. He sweetly sang Barney's I Love You/You Love Me and the first verse to Rock of Ages. Daddy was almost "sleeping." Then Isaac started in on Man of Constant Sorrow. By this time, Carly had joined in. The wailing started between Carly and Isaac: "I AM A MAN...of constant SORROW...I've seen trouble all my DAYS..." and it went on the whole length of the song. Biting his lips to keep from laughing, Jared continued to act like he was sleeping with a little chuckle here and there. It didn't work well when the kids finished that song and started singing I'm in the Jailhouse Now..."Knew a man named Gamblin' Bob, he used to steal gamble and rob......he's in the jailhouse now......I told him once or twice to stop playin' cards and a shootin' dice; he's in the jailhouse now..." clear to the yodels in the chorus! HOW do kids learn these words?!

I don't remember who ended up putting the kids to bed that night. All I remember is that Daddy wasn't asleep when the kids left his bedroom.

5 comments:

  1. we're forever telling our boys that they could be parents for a day, but often it get turned down after telling all that they may have to do--like changing diapers, or cleaning the toilet--funny stuff
    gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that they know the words to so many songs! I need to teach Alayna more songs although I don't think my singing would put her to sleep so much as make her laugh (or run from the room crying)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Elsie's favorite tape when she was little was Kingston Trio (she got it from Janice and Arnie). Nothing cuter (?) than a little blond 4 year old with sweaty, curly hair singing "Hang down your head, Tom Dooly, poor boy you're bound to die"

    Whenever you mention the kids singing the man of constant sorrow song I'm reminded of her...I don't think it did her any permanent damage, so you're kiddos will survive, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I remember those curls!! She grew up too fast. :(

    ReplyDelete