2.06.2010

Holiness of God

I wanted to sleep in this Saturday morning. Something kept me awake, though. It was the gnawing feeling of shame. Shame on me, and shame on the world. We don't even realize just how puffed up we make ourselves.

A few months ago, I listened to R.C. Sproul talk about the Holiness of God. You can read a recap of it here in one of R.C. Sproul's messages. After acknowledging and grasping the truth of this message, we should feel little. Because we are little. It had been a while since I had listened to this message, and I was starting to puff myself up again, considering myself better than I really was.

Do we even realize what HOLY means? It is moral blamelessness. Jerry Bridges calls it "separated from sin and, therefore, consecrated to God. The word signifies 'separation to God, and the conduct befitting those so separated.'" Bridges titles his book The Pursuit of Holiness because of the biblical command, "'Pursue holiness, for without holiness no one will see the Lord' (Hebrews 12:14, author's paraphrase)." He goes on to say that this takes diligence and effort through Christ, and yes, this will be a lifelong task, which won't be attained in this life.

So if this post goes as it should, you and I will read Sproul's message on God's holiness. We should be humbled knowing just how holy, holy, holy God is. God is not Someone we will ever fully understand, but the more we know, the more we are put in our place. The fewer times we try to fully grasp God's holiness, the more puffed up we become. Coming face-to-face with God's glory would drive us to our knees, our faces to the ground. Why don't we do that now? Because it's not proper? If we fully understood the holiness of God, we would.

No comments:

Post a Comment