4.21.2010

sowing seed

A farmer went out to sow his seed...
Some fell on the path;
the birds ate them.
Some fell on rocky places;
it quickly sprang up but was scorched
and withered from having no roots.
Some fell among thorns;
these grew and choked the plants
Some fell on good soil;
it produced a crop.

Jesus explains this parable in Matthew 13:18-23. In Crazy Love, Francis Chan writes, "My caution to you is this: Do not assume you are good soil."

As I finished up making mounds of cucumbers and zucchini and squash and melons, I thought to myself, Okay, these seeds better grow now. We've planted about 15 packets of "premium" seeds in this garden of good soil. What if it's all for nothing?! What if they don't come up? What if the seeds don't grow? What a WASTE that would be. Not just a waste of money, but a waste of time. We planted 1,800 tiny pink corn seeds all by hand. How frustrated we would be if they don't produce a crop.

What does God think when seed does not produce fruit? What does He think when it is choked out?

I cannot assume that I am good soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment