1.27.2011

ksu vs. ku

Most people around here probably realize that KU and K-State play this weekend.

I can't stop reading sections of Respectable Sins. In his chapter on worldliness, Jerry Bridges writes about possible areas of idolatry - careers, political and cultural issues, and a consuming passion for sports. You may agree or agree to disagree, but for what it's worth, I thought I'd share his perspective on sports.
And here I know that, especially for many male readers, I'm walking into an area "where angels fear to tread." But I don't think there is any doubt that sports, especially football and basketball, have become idols in our culture. High school football is often spoken of as a religion in many states. Many high school coaches make large salaries. One at a suburban Alabama school makes $94,000 a year and puts his players through a training regimen almost as rigorous as that of professional athletes. In fact, this idolatry of sports no longer begins at the high school age. Now coaches are looking down into the elementary schools to find promising athletes whom they can begin to groom as high school players. And the ultra-competitive "winning is the only thing" attitude of many parents of these young players simply feeds this idolatry.
But it is really at the college level that idolatry is such a temptation. And I speak from experience. I'm a graduate of one of the schools whose football team has been a major powerhouse over the years. They have won seven national championships, the first of which occurred when I was a junior in college. I give you this background to explain why my school's football fortunes became something of an idol to me. Even years after I graduated, on Saturday game days I became as tense as if my happiness depended on the outcome of the day's game.
I'm not alone, and it is not just over football. Many fans of the perennial basketball powerhouses experience the same angst during basketball season and especially if their team makes it to the NCAA tournament. I'm still a fan of my university's football team, and I'm pleased when they win. But it's no longer an idol for me. God convicted me of my idolatry, and I now remind myself that football is only a game, and I don't think God is glorified regardless of who wins. The truth is that winning only panders to our pride.
So continue to root for your favorite team, if you desire. But don't get caught up in its wins and losses. Keep sports in perspective. It's only a game.
So at 6:00 on Saturday, I'll be rooting for the Wildcats. And I'm hoping my KU friends and family don't pout when they get beat. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Casey and I read this book, and I remember how convicting it was. I should read it again. Of course, I guess I will in April for book club. It'll be good! I don't struggle with the idolatry relating to sports, but it's amazing how other things can distract me from what's really important. Oh, and the chapter on gluttony or something like that was good, too. Enjoy! ~Karen

    ReplyDelete