4.20.2011

fire it up

This is a hot topic that has been brewing in my mind for a year now. Feedback would be good, because I need help with a solution.

Ever wonder why they play pump-it-up songs before sporting events? Music is often used to kick people in gear. A year ago, I decided to start running again. The sad truth is that I DO NOT LIKE TO EXERCISE. Running is the fastest way to finish this daunting task. To pump me up and get me started exercising again, I decided that music was a must-have.

Here's a confession. I love music. All kinds. But as far as pump-me-up music, the Def Leppard and Metallica and KISS tapes I used to have just aren't the kind of music that would glorify God in the midst of this running business. (Oh, I forgot. Mom confiscated my KISS tape 20 years ago.)

Another option: Thousand Foot Krutch. Here are a couple songs I put on the MP3 player (turn up your sound way up):

Some people may wonder what the big fuss is. And others may think She listens to THAT? The distance and time do go a lot more quickly, but is this music beneficial? Is it good and right? Probably what makes the run go faster is the (3x/wk) battle in my mind of that question. Every mile, I contemplate that very thing: is it good for me to blast this into my ears? Maybe another way to think of this is...does the music I listen to define who I am? or the books I read? or the movies I watch?

"'All things are lawful,' but not all things are helpful. 'All things are lawful,' but not all things build up....whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." (1 Corinthians 10:23,31).

Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Since I was the one who gave these songs to Myra I felt like I should comment on this blog. It is a really good blog and raises a good question: Does "Christian" music sound a certain way, or should it?

    I grew up unsaved and really enjoyed listening to rock/hard rock such as Metallica, AC/DC, etc. After coming to Christ I knew I couldn't listen to those groups anymore, but I still enjoyed that type of sound. I was introduced to "Christian" rock bands and have really enjoyed listening to these groups ever since. The number of bands and the music they produce has continually improved. I especially like the following band: Skillet, RED, Disciple, Thousand foot Krutch, and Pillar.

    All these bands profess to follow Christ and I am inclined to believe them. I personally know the bass player for Pillar and can atest that he loves the Lord and uses his talent to glorify him. Does every song they produce specifically talk about Christ? The answer is no, some of their sounds are just fun, like the two referenced in this blog, one talks about throwing up your fist in the air when you like the music (Rawkfist) The other talks about getting fired up. Fired up for what? I don't know, you fill in the blank, could be fired up to exercise.

    I would never tell another Christian they need to listen to these bands, just like I don't need to be told that I have to listen to Sandy Patty or Michael W. Smith. I would argue that these bands are trying to achieve the same goal as Sandy and Michael and that is glorifying God.

    I have ready many reports of people coming to know the lord through this type of music. What kind of people am I talking about, typically younger adults who are struggling with life, those who may be considering suicide, dealing with abuse, etc, etc. They can relate to these bands in a way that Sandy and Michael could never achieve.

    I was recently at at a RED, Disciple concert and they spoke at length about their relationship with Christ, and encouraged the crowd to follow the same path, they also encouraged people to get involved with Compassion International.

    Now a lot of people may not like this style of music, but I do and it has helped me enjoy rock music with a positive message that points to Christ.

    Just my 2 cents

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete