8.22.2009

we are

It was my last day of school at Jardine in Wichita. The kids knew every teacher was killing time until 3:10. I gave a quiz, but this one was supposed to be fun. A 20-question true/false quiz about the teacher - Ms. Hartter, given orally. "True or false...I grew up on a farm." "True or false...My mother was born in Germany." "True or false...My great-great-great grandma was the daughter of a Belgian prince." The last question on the test was, "True or false...I go to church." A snicker came from Taylor Murphy's side of the room. He looked at me, laughed, and said, "Yeah, right!" Now, Taylor Murphy was a big, squirrely eighth grader who often got in trouble, but he taught me an unforgettable lesson. Even after spending at least 30 minutes each day with him for 10 1/2 months, he would've never guessed that I was a church-going person.

Who are we? We call ourselves Christians, but do we act like it? Do we even talk like it? At Jardine, I had apparently done neither. Pray for us - that we would walk as faithful believers. Pray for boldness to seize every opportunity to spread the Word. "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline" (2 Timothy 1:7).

6 comments:

  1. Keep preaching Ms. Hartter. It is so true. Also some pointers about "select profile" would be helpful. I always select anonymous because they don't ask any more questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time, click "Name/URL" from the menu. Type in your name and click "continue."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I don't mean to preach. Writing that stuff just helps me to process things. Actually, I'm preaching to myself, not to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to try that and see. By the way, keep preaching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Myra, that was a really good post -- and such a needed kick in the pants. I too should be seizing every opportunity to bring people up against the gospel, intentionally walking with them to Jesus. I don't want them to miss that "bit" about me, either.

    ReplyDelete