11.14.2009

crazy love, pt4

The last of Crazy Love...

I can finally say now that I recommend this book. My reviews on this blog didn't do it justice. Chan writes in the last chapter, "By now you're probably wondering, What in the world does this mean for me?" He reminds us that the first church responded with action: repentance, baptism, selling possessions, and sharing the gospel. "We respond with words like Amen, Convicting sermon, Great book... and then are paralyzed as we try to decipher what God wants of our lives." Chan challenges us to hold nothing back, putting every hope in God's fidelity to His promises. Our purpose is to serve a holy God and to love.

Yesterday, the kids and I went to Cartown Hyundai to get our Trailblazer serviced. (This is the dealership where we bought the car.) While we were waiting, I read the last chapter of Crazy Love. I remember thinking that it would surely be an interesting conversation should someone see this book and inquire about what I was reading. I thought to myself, I could even give this book to the person if they asked about it. But nah, I want to keep it. It was really good, and I would love to read it again some day. So, in the back of my mind, I had selfishly decided that this book was all mine.

I finished the book, and the kids started getting restless. After a bag of M&Ms and a couple stories, they told us our car was ready. I payed and we left. When we got back to our apartment, I realized I had forgotten my book. It was still sitting on the table at Cartown. A part of me wanted to go back and get it, but I don't think I will. People don't typically chuck out books, do they? For $10, maybe, just maybe someone will pick it up and read it. Isn't it great how God works? And isn't it funny that just a couple weeks ago, we'd bought a second copy of the book with the intention of giving it to someone? Maybe we still will. Or maybe this second copy can be ours. Or maybe we'll leave it somewhere accidentally.

2 comments:

  1. God's ways are far above ours. Most likely leaving the book was no "accident".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee. This made me smile. I can't wait to hear someday what God is doing with that copy of the book! :)

    ReplyDelete