11.20.2009

a dip in the pond

We met a Kansas family! James and Katie and their three girls are from Meriden. They arrived in San Angelo a month ago for a six-month training. What a bummer that they weren't here the whole time we were. Last Saturday, we went to their house for supper (and to watch KU lose). What a great family! The kids hit it off real well.

Yesterday, Katie and I decided to go to the San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts where kids can do free crafts on Thursdays. We did our crafts and went out back to play near a fountain and a small tiered waterfall/lily pad pond.
Now if you read my title, you can already guess what happened. And you can also probably guess whom it happened to. Katie and I were talking and chasing after their 1-year-old daughter, leaving the four older kids "fishing" in the tiny minnow pond with grass poles a few paces back from us.

Our conversation was interrupted with screams from the little girls. Carly was frantic as she yelled, "ISAAC FELL IN!" Isaac has made mistakes like this before, so I didn't go temporarily insane like I did the first time two years ago. However, my parental instincts kicked in as I dropped everything I carried and was there to rescue him within a second. He had fallen in feet first, so the top of his head was still dry - but still, it was 3 feet deep. The rescue probably could've been done without me having to join him in the fish pond, but it was easier for me to just jump in too. This time, he didn't cry; he just came out with a puzzled look on his face and said, "I was kicking my feet! I was!" I guess he didn't understand why this wouldn't have helped him stay afloat.

When it was all said and done, Isaac and I both shlopped back to the car, leaving a drip trail everywhere we walked. The whole scenario was somewhat funny, but the more I think about it, the scarier it gets. Praise God for protection!!

No comments:

Post a Comment